Thursday 2 April 2015

What DAY2 Looks Like in NYSC Camp (Must Read)


Yes!! First morning in camp. Ahhhhhh!!! So annoying, I woke up around 2am, Guess what I saw?? I saw guys awake hustling for water. There were just two taps running for over 1000 corp members. Immediately I realized I could not get a bucket of water at that time. I slept back to wake up by 4am, I immediately activated my OAU style “Rob and Shine” which means washing your face with sachet water and then using it to brush your teeth; (Fastest way of becoming fresh) *winks*. After that I got dressed and waited on my bed reading my bible before the soldiers come to chase us out to the parade ground. It was now 4.30am when the soldiers came into our hostel in numbers shouting, blowing whistle, in order to chase us out. We all rushed out, of course some corp members have mind sha, they weren’t scared of the soldiers so they took their time forming bosses. Anyways, me “I no get liver”, I rushed out. On the parade ground, I experienced the most boring praise and worship session in my life. We were all singing like we were at a funeral service. We did that till about 5.50am. When it was exactly 6am, there is this thing soldiers do, they hoist the national flag and also the NYSC flag while blowing a musical instrument like a trumpet called “Bugle” Never heard that word until I got to camp, I am pretty sure you are also just hearing the word “Bugle” which we all spelt as “Beagle” simply because that is what the pronunciation sounds like, well you can’t blame us you know. Thereafter, we sang the national anthem and the NYSC anthem. Then we were been addressed by the camp director giving us some long and funny rules.





We were later divided into our platoons where the platoon instructor led us into morning exercises and training in preparation for the swearing in ceremony. The whole training ended 7.45am finally and yaay!! It was time for breakfast, oh well, Bread and Tea wasn’t too bad, didn’t care I just needed to fill up my energy tank because I was exhausted.

Omo, I was punished on the second day ehn that I was asked to do 10 pushups because I didn’t put on my cap on my way to the toilet, imagine that. The rule in camp is to always wear your full camp outfit; the cap, white top and short, white shoe. Wherever you going, the kitchen or even the toilet, you must be completely dressed. Learnt from that experience to always be completely kitted.
At 9am, we got back to the parade training which lasted till 2pm under the sun that wasn’t smiling a bit, it was crazy.



Lunch for that day was garri and beans which could only be collected within 2 hours (2pm-4pm).Again we returned for parade training which lasted between 4pm-7pm preparing us for the swearing in ceremony the next day but within that period the bugle went off exactly at 6pm when the Nigerian flag is usually dropped during which every single living body is supposed to stand at attention till the Bugle goes off completely.


All training for that day ended at exactly 7pm (my Favorite time of the day) then it was time for dinner but too many people were exhausted and all we just wanted to do was relax, and make new friends before it would be light out again at 10pm.

If you missed Day 1, click Here to read.

Share your experience also.

No comments:

Post a Comment