Wednesday 5 August 2015

5 Simple Ways to be a Better Student! #Student #Success @IFM4real


Many say to me, “I think you are brilliant, intelligent…” but I would rather describe myself as blessed, favored and smart. Yes, I look brilliant but I had a tough time in school with my grades. I think brilliant guys should graduate with a first-class and not other-wise, now you are thinking “Really, what did this guy graduate with?” Don’t worry; I graduated anyway (smiles).
Gaining admission into Mechanical Engineering, Obafemi Awolowo University (OAU) was one of my happiest moments because it was all I had hoped and wished for since the time I was in primary school. However, I did not know how to go through it smoothly and successfully; all that mattered to me was the fact that I had gained admission into one of the best universities in Nigeria. Over the years, I have learnt that life is in phases and every phase of life has its own challenges and solutions. Gaining admission in school is one phase and staying in school is another phase.
I would like to share some useful thoughts on how to successfully stay and graduate from university. I realized at a very late time how I could have made a change, how I could have been a better student and so I have decided to share this with people. Here are some points.

  1. Leave your Ego behind- Many of us were champions in our various secondary schools and automatically we thought it would be the same in the University. Let me burst your bubble, it’s not automatic! I was the senior prefect or what some people refer to as ‘Head Boy’ in my secondary school and I gained admission into OAU, can you beat that? I was feeling ‘fly’! But alas, it was a different world; it had to be survival of the ‘GP’. It was cumulative not per session. To successfully go through University, you need to clear your head up and be humble. Be in control of your EGO. A man who cannot rule his ego cannot rule his world.
  2. Be friends with someone Brilliant in your Field- Okay, this is a very important point to take note of. Once you recognize the level you are on, you should become friends with someone on a higher level, this is someone that would challenge you and most times remind you of assignments undone. Of course you could have other friends for other reasons, however never fail to have that brilliant friend.
  3. Do not get involved in too many activities- Some of us are super resourceful and want to be involved in all the groups in school. It’s beautiful to be involved in groups; however our primary objective in school is to be educated and graduate with wonderful grades. Focus on one group and be passive in others if you must be part of them. I noticed that the people in such groups are the ones who would mock you when they constantly see you around (when you should have graduated!). My advice is PRIOTIZE. Time management is KEY.
  4. Ignore Lecturer’s Excesses and Inefficiencies- I once heard that “If you hate the teacher, you cannot know the subject”. This is so real! This kind of attitude which I had towards my lecturers caused a great fall in school, (I really disliked my lecturers). They were sadists, annoying set of people, in-experienced and unqualified to lecture. Believing that made me unserious, made me struggle to attend lectures, made me confused and made me lose focus. I started to fail until my best friend told me to over look my lecturers and focus on the goal. My goal was to graduate with a good grade and to get that I needed to pass my exams. So I started reading on my own and decided to attend group discussions where my mates could explain the course at my level. I realized that the hatred I had for my lectures caused the failure. I didn’t take charge; I depended on their method of teaching to succeed. I created my own environment; I became strong and took responsibility of my life. There is no excuse for failure!
  5. Trust and Serve God- Out of all, this is the best part because trusting God makes you strong when you are down. At one point or the other you would feel down so putting your trust in God is very important. I remember when I had my only “F” in school, I cried myself out, and I was super down. My close friends encouraged me but still that didn’t help because they all passed. It was later in the week; I got words from the bible which went a long way in strengthening me.
My experience in OAU has taught me a lot of things and like I have shared with you, trusting God among other things make a difference in a person’s life. As seen from the points above, everyone has the opportunity to go through University and come out as one of the best. If during my University days, I practiced or knew about the points above, I am sure the outcome would have been different and that’s why I have written this article to encourage those already in University or those about to get into the experience.

Please share your thoughts with me through the comment section, someone somewhere might need exactly what you know. Thanks!

No comments:

Post a Comment