Thursday 5 February 2015

The First day of a Corper in Camp.. Enjoy!!!

#Day1
First day was stressful and eventful starting from the early waking at 5am at my house, preparing to travel on a 2hrs journey from Ibadan to Iseyin. Traveling with my friend Ope Jaiyeoba didn't make it boring. Riding on a fairly rough road, the journey seemed forever but cool because we met other corp members in the bus forming like we have known each other somewhere before.
Anyways let’s go to the camp venue, the bus got to a particular road, untarred and dusty, we saw soldiers, policemen, civil defense men. Yeah, I knew we had gotten to the camp venue; all of a sudden they stopped the bus driver to get us down. On getting down, the soldiers asked all of us to carry our bags on our heads, I was not really shocked, was expecting it though but what surprised me was that we had not even gotten to the main entrance at that point, the gate was still a bit far. So we had to carry our bags on our head whether heavy or light it was. The annoying thing was that we were asked to “double up” which mean we should run. How can you run for a long distance with heavy bags on your head? Stressful mehn! I almost cried but I had to form hard guy because ladies had to do the same too. Anyways my advice for next prospective corp members is that “Do not bring heavy bags to camp”. Along the road, there were old women trying to help us carry our bags, just a way to advertise themselves so you can patronize them whenever you want to wash or do anything during the camp period.

At last, we got to the gate. Officials were already at the gate ready to check us in. We registered, got our bags checked for any contraband then the next annoying action was that we were asked to sit on the floor then later frog jump to a particular shade which we later knew was called pavilion to be addressed. After, we filed up to be given a bed space in a very long big hall; we were about 1000 corp members in that room, males anyways. Got the lower bunk while Ope got the upper bed. Had to put our bags under the bed to continue all necessary registration.
Yes, something weird happened on the first day, I had an argument with about four platoon inspectors. I was forming spokesman, OAU style, if you understand. It all started when I volunteered to help my platoon inspector to carry out the NYSC kits from the store. On getting to the store, other platoon inspectors were there to pick up their kits also whereas they didn't have any corp member to help so I was asked to call some other corp members to help, so I did. On bringing the guys to the store, the inspectors started shouting and giving them rules on where to stand and not to stand, the corp members were pissed, I was also too. So they all left and I then had to speak to the inspectors that what they did was wrong that it was not nice and fair on the corp members who were trying to help. And that was how all of the inspectors shouted at me to shut up, that who am I to tell them what am is wrong or right. That went on for about 5-7mins. My face was marked from the first day. I felt cool though because I was speaking right for my colleagues. Advice: Please if it was you, don't overdo it! Those inspectors can be crazy oo.
After all said and done, we got our NYSC kits, went to the hostel, got dressed to the usual white fowl costume, white short and white t-shirt. While still changing, the soldiers came around with their sticks and whistle chasing us out to the parade ground. Screaming “If you are still inside, you are wrong”.
Got to the parade ground, we were arranged in threes forming different squads and each squad has a commanding soldier. “Squad!!! Attention by number, squad one, squad two!!” It was one exercise I hated because it entails raising your leg.
Yaayyy!!! It was time to eat. First meal in camp, guess what it was?? They welcomed us with the Oyo state food- Amala and Ogbona. See guys and tush ladies queuing up with bowls, plates, and coolers. At this time it was 4pm. We were all madly hungry and ready to eat anything. Anyways, it was “Ose igberaga” my OAU guys would understand this, it mean “prideful week”. Money was still plenty to spend so many people went to the “Mami market” which the state coordinator corrected us to be Camp market. Whichever, we never called it camp market.

After lunch, we all went back to the parade ground to continue our tiring exercise, but now in our different platoons. I was in platoon 6. We were on the parade ground till about 6.30pm in which we went to eat dinner. Asaro was the food; I ate it gladly with a very dry fried fish.
One other thing before I end my #day1 corper story, we were all given different sizes of Khaki even though we registered online putting down our actual size, but you know Nigeria, Nothing is ever perfect! That night I had to adjust my khaki, omo if you hear the price they did it ehn, I almost fainted. Some people didn’t adjust theirs because of the price; the price was ridiculous anyways it was camp; exploiting us right, left and centre.
You wanna know how I enjoyed camp?? watch out for #Day2!! Click Here to read Day 2


No comments:

Post a Comment