Monday 15 October 2018

#AwonPeaceMaker: Archbishop Kukah denies endorsing Atiku Abubakar, says he was in Abeokuta to witness the reconciliation

Archbishop Kukah denies endorsing Atiku Abubakar, says he was in Abeokuta to witness the reconciliation

The Bishop of the Catholic Diocese of Sokoto, Reverend Matthew Kukah, says the meeting with Former President Olusegun Obasanjo and former Vice President, Atiku Abubakar, was to witness the reconciliation of a prolonged dispute between the two leaders.
In a recent interview, Kukah said his visit was strictly to witness the reconciliation. According to him, he was aware of the reconciliation but his involvement was apolitical.He said he advised the former president to have the re conciliatory meeting behind closed doors so as to avoid press men politicizing their involvement.
According to Kukah, himself and the other religious leaders, Bishop David Oyedpo and Sheik Gumi, witnessed the reconciliation and then prayed for Obasanjo and Atiku. 
After our discussion, which was done behind closed doors we prayed and we took photographs and I left afterwards to attend to other spiritual duties. I was earlier offered a sit in their aircraft and although it was the most convenient offer at the time I declined the offer because I saw it as necessary to ensure that I take no favours from any of the two parties. I was not in Abeokuta to endorse Alhaji Atiku Abubakar, the candidate of the People’s Democratic Party (PDP). I fully understand the feeling of some persons, who believe I traveled with Alhaji Abubakar, to witness his endorsement by Former President Obasanjo but this was not the case at all. I am a strong believer in a peaceful and united Nigeria and this ideals I strive to achieve as a priest. My instincts to always initiate reconciliation and peace were sharpened during my involvement and experience with the Oputa Panel'' he said

No comments:

Post a Comment